So it's Wednesday night and we're halfway done with Orientation. Most all of the administrative paperwork and such is done as far as the job goes, but I'll have more once I move into my apartment what with getting my alien card and bank account and all that fun stuff.

Other than said paperwork and the health check, Orientation has actually been pretty fun. Everyone here is pretty cool and there are some great senses of humor mixed in with the crowd. So we get some great conversations (zombies in Japan and our survival chance, also a screenplay) and running commentaries (It's Japan.). We've got quite the mix of foreigners, too: American, British, Irish, Scottish, Canadian, and Australian (I think I got them all). And somehow a bunch of those Americans ended up being from Texas. Seriously, I think 3 people in Hitachi are from Texas. With that group of people though, it's been a lot of fun.

Our evenings are free, though I haven't done a whole lot with mine. The past couple days, I was still recovering from jet lag and just slept or chilled in my room. But today I went exploring with one other person. Basically we just checked out the department store by the station and found the 100 en shop (the dollar store equivalent), but we also spent some time in the arcade on the top floor. You've never seen crane games until you've seen 20 or so of them all crammed into one place. There were also purikura (photobooths), tons of slot machines, pachinko, air hockey (which we played and I lost) and a taiko-type game (which I also lost).

I also took a video of my hotel room, for anyone interested. It's not terribly exciting, but there you go. :)



And I think that's it for tonight. I've also gotten my school schedule and my apartment location, but I'll go more into those once I've moved in and can give pictures and such.

If you have any questions for me, please leave them in the comments, and I'll try to answer them. :)

Comments (3)

On April 8, 2010 at 6:51 AM , Anonymous said...

Hey there. What prefecture are you going to? I roomed with a fellow from Texas at the March orientation who is in Ibaraki. He's also Mexican-American.

 
On April 8, 2010 at 7:06 AM , Lauren said...

I'm staying here in Hitachi. Where are you at?

 
On April 25, 2010 at 2:55 AM , Anonymous said...

Sorry, haven't been on in a while. I'm with Branch 1, Niigata prefecture!